We often get asked what it takes to sell a home in Springfield Missouri or the surrounding areas of Ozark, Nixa, Rogersville, Willard, Battlefield, or Republic. This is a complex question and the short answer is - it depends! Buyers are looking for a good deal (or even a steal) on a great home in a great neighborhood. If this doesn’t describe your property, don’t despair. There are many variables involved but here are some points to get you on the right track.
1. Location. It makes a huge difference if your home is next door to a well-kept home with a beautiful yard or next to a junk pile. You can ask the neighbors to clean it up and even offer to help. If they won’t cooperate then there’s not much you can do to overcome this situation other than price your home lower than your competition.
2. Condition. Your home needs to be in good repair. Buyers are looking for reasons to reject your home and poor condition will cause them to cull it from their list in a heartbeat. Fresh paint and carpet are usually your best investment. Remember to paint neutral colors that will appeal to the most potential buyers. Make sure everything in your home works as it should.
3. Curb Appeal. The outside of your home is just as important as the inside. Put trash cans and toys away. Keep the lawn and shrubs neatly trimmed. It’s also a good idea to put potted flowers on the porch or window boxes.
4. Staging. Visit our website for a video on staging your Springfield Missouri home to sell. The before and after pictures are incredible. It’s not just a good idea, it’s essential to present your house in the best light to get it sold.
5. Internet Marketing. In today’s Internet society, it’s critical that your home be marketed all over the web including housing sites, social media, blogs, and local websites. As a matter of fact, buyers searching on the Internet will be your first showings! This includes photography, video, text, maps, and features of your home. Search for homes in Springfield.
6. Agent to Agent Marketing. Did you know that real estate agents market their listings to other agents? This is how many homes are sold. Our buyers might be interested in another agent’s listings and vice a versa.
7. More and More Marketing. There’s not enough time to detail our wide-ranging marketing plan here but if you would like more information just give us a call.
8. Pricing. Pricing is the most important factor that the seller has control over. It doesn’t matter what you paid for your home or what you owe on it, a home is actually worth what a willing and qualified buyer in today’s market will offer for it. Of course we want you to sell your home for the best price possible but you just need to be realistic. Competitive pricing will overcome a bad location, less than perfect condition, or other obstacles. If you owe more than its worth, you may want to consider selling as a “short sale”. This will have a much lesser impact on your credit than a foreclosure and may be a better alternative.
9. Choose An Experienced REALTOR®. Your cousin Joe may have his real estate license, but it’s not usually a good idea to mix business and family. If something goes wrong it could be a touchy situation. You also need an experienced REALTOR® since selling your home is one of the most important financial choices of your life. Joe may be a great guy, but if he only sells one or two homes a year he might not be your top choice.
The best way to determine what your home is worth is to have us personally take a look at it for you and research it compared to current market trends in your area for similar homes. If you have questions we would be happy to answer them for you. Good luck in the sale of your home!
About The Authors: Betty Knowles is a full-time REALTOR® with Coldwell Banker Vanguard REALTORS® in Springfield, MO and proudly serves on the board of the Greater Springfield Board of REALTORS®. She also served as President of Women’s Council Of REALTORS® in Southwest Missouri. Betty’s genuine passion is helping people buy and sell homes in Springfield, Ozark, Nixa, and surrounding communities.
John Knowles is likewise a full-time REALTOR® with Coldwell Banker Vanguard and a member of the Greater Springfield Board of REALTORS®. A self-proclaimed computer geek, John is talented at developing real estate websites, videos, photography, blogs, search engine optimization and other technical skills essential to marketing and selling real estate in Springfield MO.
Together this dynamic team makes up TeamKnowles REALTORS®, Spouses Selling Houses! They are dedicated to doing what it takes to sell your home in the greater Springfield real estate market, or help you purchase a home that fits your particular needs. Give TeamKnowles a call today; you’ll be glad you did!
Quick Homes Search: