Selling a home in Springfield MO? Here are some great tips from staging designer Tessa Skeens.
Happened to be home when Oprah was on this afternoon. The topic was Makeunders. Women who needed less not more. But this also applies to homes. Nate Berkus did a room Makeunder and it inspired me!
Every home that goes on sale needs a makeunder. The less of you, the quicker your home will sell. The bigger and more spacious your home looks the higher it's perceived value.
This means it's really important to edit your stuff so what's really important greets you (and your buyers) when you walk in the door. You want your homes' features to shine, you want buyers to say AH!
The trouble is we tend to keep adding stuff to our homes and don't stop to edit.
I compare it to getting dressed. You've got a great look going but then you keep adding accessories to your outfit. A scarf or two. All of a sudden your great look gets lost. No one will be able to focus on that perfect necklace or pair of shoes because there's too much to look at.
The best outfits are the ones with a simple color palette. A nice pair of jeans, a contrasting top and jacket and some great accent jewelry and shoes.
Your home is no different. It's an extension of who you are but it shouldn't be the catchall for everything you've ever wanted to bring home. Layering is wonderful but you have to know when to stop before your look gets lost.
Start with one room. Treat it like an extension of yourself. How would you dress it?
10 Easy Tips to "Make Under" Your Home
1. Keep in simple, Pick one or two main colors for your walls and floor. The fewer colors the more spacious your home will look.
2. Pick a third and fourth (if desired) accent color . Use these colors sparingly.
3. Keep your surfaces consistent. Walls should be the same material if possible and painted or finished in the same color on all walls. Floors also. Keep flooring consistent throughout the house.
4. Group your family photos on one wall and use similar frames and mats to keep a unified look. Edit your photos first and keep only the ones you love.
5. Group your plants also. Your plants will thrive and it reduces watering time. Toss out any that are unhealthy or dying.
6. If a room has more than one use make sure there's a dedicated space for each use. Screens or dividers can help separate living from office or exercise space.
7. Keep your window treatments clean and simple. Heavy window treatments that cut down on light can overpower a room. Invest in some light colored curtain panels instead hung on a simple pole. These look great over inexpensive 2" blinds.
8. Remove area rugs on carpet. Visually they cut up the floor space and make the room feel smaller.
9. Edit your collections. Keep only pieces you love on display. Again grouping them will create impact and reduce visual busy-ness.
10. Keep it to 5. When in doubt, keep no more than 5 toys or 5 plants or 5 pillows or 5 frames or 5 lamps for example in a room at one time. If you want to add a new piece, take out an old one.
Remember keep it simple. Whether you are getting ready to sell your home or just want to live lighter, a professional home staging consultation can help you with your "makeunder".
Photos are not samples of Hampton Redesign staging but chosen to represent how a simplified color palette can makeunder a room.
Hampton Redesign 817-891-9563 www.hamptonredesign.com
Tessa Skeens | Owner & Lead Staging Designer
Professional Home Staging and Redesign Services Serving Greater Fort Worth TX Including Aledo, Willow Park, Benbrook, Keller, Arlington, Southlake, Colleyville, Hurst, Mansfield, Burleson and Tarrant County
About The Authors: Betty Knowles is a full-time REALTOR® with Southwest Missouri Realty in Springfield, MO She also served as President of Women’s Council Of REALTORS® in Southwest Missouri. Betty’s genuine passion is helping people buy and sell homes in Springfield, Ozark, Nixa, and surrounding communities.
John Knowles is likewise a REALTOR® with Southwest Missouri Realty and a member of the Greater Springfield Board of REALTORS®. John is also a FAA part 107 certified drone pilot to get those amazing shots and videos of our properties!
Together this dynamic team makes up TeamKnowles REALTORS®, Spouses Selling Houses! They are dedicated to doing what it takes to sell your home in the greater Springfield real estate market, or help you purchase a home that fits your particular needs. Give TeamKnowles a call today; you’ll be glad you did!
Quick Homes Search: